Permission to Work in Ireland

There are a variety of ways in which a person can legally be employed in Ireland. It is illegal to work in Ireland without a permission.

General Employment Permit

Applications are made to the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI). All occupations, bar those in the DBEI list of ineligible categories of employment, are covered.

Critical Skills Employment Permit

Certain highly skilled occupations are eligible to apply to DBEI for this permit. This permit was previously referred to as a “Green Card”. The spouse/partner/dependent of a person holding such a permit may also apply for a permit to work.

Atypical Working Scheme

Where a person is permitted to work in Ireland for 3 moths or less, where there is a skill shortage in a specific industry or sector of the economy.

Third Level Graduate Programme

A non EU/EEA/Swiss national who has studied in Ireland with a student permission and has received a qualification from a recognised Irish awarding body may be eligible to apply to work in Ireland post graduation.


Persons seeking to carry out research with an accredited institution in Ireland under a hosting agreement.


Locum and fulltime medical doctors must meet specific conditions to enable them to work in Ireland.

Intra Company Transfer Employment Permit

This facilitates the transfer of an employee of a multinational corporation to work in the corporation’s Irish branch for a specified period of time.


Students who valid student visa and continue to meet qualifying criteria are entitled to work for specified hours during and outside term time.

Working Holiday

Students from certain countries are eligible to apply for a 1 year visa which enables them to work in Ireland.

Sport and Cultural Employment Permit

Applications may be made to DBEI by persons in the sporting, cultural and entertainment sectors may be made to enable employment in Ireland for a specified period of time.